Friday, March 2, 2012

Internet annual charge at issue

Dear Voxbox:

I understand that you are just reporting what you hear, but Ifound the $20 a year charge for a subscription to the Internet for ayear hard to fathom. I e-mailed Pioneer Neighborhood of Cambridge asyou provided in last week's edition, and this is the reply I gotalmost instantly:

"Pioneer Neighborhood provides low-cost connections to Internet.

To reach us, call 617-646-4800 or write to sales(AT SYMBOLSIGN)pn.com. Our fax number is 617-497-7162. Included here ispricing for our UUCP services.

Pioneer Neighborhood's fees for UUCP are kept low to reflect thecost of operating this highly efficient service. Effective 6/1/94,fees are as follows:

Standard membership: 12.95 monthly

Shop Talk membership: 24.95 monthly

Corporate Connection: 44.95 monthly"

This is cheap but I don't think that the $20 a year is what wasadvertised. But if this is a full Internet access line maybe it isworth the cash. Hopefully the people at Pioneer will see this andcomment on it.P.S. I live in R.I. so my cost would be inflated by Ma Bell.michae9034(AT SYMBOL SIGN)aol.comDear Voxbox:

Once the Globe is connected to the Internet, will there be aspecific policy on the forwarding of articles which are available inyour online repositories? For example, I'm running a mailing listfor Red Sox fans (to subscribe: send mail to majordomo(AT SYMBOLSIGN)world.std.com with the message body -- not the subject line --set to "subscribe bosox"). Many of the people on this list would beinterested in seeing some of the regular columns or articles aboutthe games but find it difficult to receive the Globe on a daily basisin England or Australia. Would it be proper for me to access yourarticles and forward them to the list?FRANK SOLENSKY, Somervillesolensky(AT SYMBOL SIGN)world.std.com

Voxbox replies: Globe articles are copyrighted and may not beredistributed without written permission.Dear Voxbox:

One of the things that continues to surprise me is the lack offiling features on America Online. I like to keep copies of mye-mail correspondence and I like to organize it according to itssource. Both my Compuserve (DOSCIM) and Sprintnet (Sprintmail)software allow me to make various "file folders." I have some forcorrespondence with friends and some for customers and other workrelated topics. Of course, I have one labeled GEMS for humor.

With AOL when I sniff and run, I end up with one download filewith all my incoming letters from that session glopped together. IfI wanted to save them to different "folders," I would have to do itas a separate operation after dissecting the mess via my wordprocessor.

Does anyone out there have a solution for the same problem withAOL?MICHAEL MUNROEm.munroe(AT SYMBOL SIGN)compmail.comDear Voxbox:

Will The Globe be publishing (either online or paper printed) adirectory of Globe online addresses? As far as I can tell, currentlyreaders have to search the end of articles to find an address, andsome pieces, departments or writers don't list theirs. Having allthis data in one place would make communicating with the paper mucheasier. Thanks.MICHAEL HOWELLcvkj49a(AT SYMBOL SIGN)prodigy.com

VOXBOX replies: You get a full directory of all our onlineaddresses sent to you every time you e-mail voxbox(AT SYMBOLSIGN)globe.com.Dear Voxbox:

Congratulations on your new restaurant reviews by e-mail. That'sanother small step for the Globe, another giant leap toward thepromised land of limitless information on demand.

Has the Globe considered setting up a World Wide Web server toconsolidate its electronic offerings? A growing number Internautsare able to take advantage of multimedia WWW browsers such as NCSAMosaic, which allows users to view text and pictures, listen to audioclips, and even watch videos.

Since the Web operates by hypertext, a Globe home page mightpoint to several offerings from within the paper itself, as well asto a large number of resources that already exist on the Net, such asweather forecasts from the University of Michigan and O'Reilly &Associates' Global Network Navigator.

Again, kudos to the Globe for its future-directedness.ANTHONY L. PEREZ, Framinghamtonyp(AT SYMBOL SIGN)tiac.net

Voxbox replies: Yes, we are looking at various Internet navigationtools.

No comments:

Post a Comment